Jackson Co. CourthouseM-F 8am-4:30pm
View two 1930s murals in the upper level lobby that were painted as part of the Civil Works Administration established by President Franklin Roosevelt’s depression era New Deal program. Through the efforts of several citizens, county commissioners, and local CWA officers, Carl Reinbold of Seymour was selected to paint the murals. The semi-circular murals, located beneath the glass colored dome, depict early Jackson County history. The scene of Fort Vallonia was based on local oral descriptions, as well as, descriptions of similar Indiana and Kentucky forts. The mural of Tipton Island was painted from 1913 photographs taken during the commemoration ceremony of the 100th anniversary of the battle and the monument dedication honoring General John Tipton.